Monday, January 16, 2012

THE BIG SCARE

Well I thought I had a challenging week before, but this week topped it by far.  Tuesday night Samantha had an episode where her heart was beating way too hard and fast, she was hyperventilating, shaking all over, having numbness in her arms and hands, and basically scaring her mom to death! My first thought was I will drive her to the ER. About halfway to 412 my next thought was I need an ambulance. She was in the seat beside me barely breathing and gasping for every single breath. So some wonderful first responders, and soon after, an ambulance met us at Kings River Store that night. Now when you are scared to death that there is something very seriously wrong with your child, seeing that first wonderful first responder is the best thing ever! Just knowing someone is there with you that probably knows more about what to do than you do is extremely helpful. After the ambulance came, and she had oxygen, and her heart rate had returned to , well not normal but much better, they said it would be safe for me to drive her to the ER myself and save a huge ambulance bill. (Nice guys, I appreciate that). So I took her on to the ER where they did testing that showed absolutely nothing except that she was anemic. So they diagnosed her with anxiety attack and said to follow up with her regular Dr. We saw Dr. Embry on Friday and he said , although anxiety attacks are likely, he wanted to do further testing. So he ordered a heart monitor for her to wear (we are still waiting on that to arrive via fed-ex), and did an asthma test and more blood work. (also still waiting on all those results). Meanwhile she is having about 1 episode a day, sometimes 2. The doctors taught her how to breath when they happen so they are only lasting about 5 -10 minutes now instead of a few hours like the first one. Prayers are appreciated , and if anyone has any helpful advice please feel free to comment! And never take your first responders, paramedics, and school nurses for granted!
 

1 comment: